Wednesday 17 July 2013

Muddymudcake


This is an empty pie dish. 
It's not very happy. But with some butter, chocolate and liquorice it feels a lot better - or maybe that's just me. As always, finding a name/translation into English has been tricky - but fun! Because it is, as always, quite close to an English term/translation - here the English term Chocolate Mud cake - but not quite. In my search through the Wild Wild Web I came across an interesting little blog that was discussing, well, exactly what I am discussing right now. In a way.
For now, let's just call it Mud Cake and get on with it.


I guess every place, family, etc, has its or their own classic dish or cake that is made over and over until perfect (or as near as one can come). When I was a child, simple sponge cakes and Mud cake (or Kladdkaka) where the first ones I learnt to bake. Mud cake especially since it is so simple and quick to make. I suppose one could think of it as a 'ruined cake', as the aim is to achieve a crusty shell and a gooey, almost runny, middle.
There is probably over a 100 different ways of making them and here is also about a million different recepies, some which I hope to try very soon. Just to shake things up I decided to starts things off not with a Classic Mud cake, but one with liquorice!

Liquorice is something I've lately become very interested in (yes, I tend to obsess a bit about food). Liquorice comes in many different forms - sweet, salt, to almost tar-tasting - and it can be an acquired taste. What I had never thought of, however, was using it in cakes. In a small, cosy shop, I found a stack of liquorice products and one of them was this small jar of powdered liquorice (and I was strongly advised to try this cake). And who am I to say no to a challenge?

 Liquorice Mudcake

  1. 150 grams of butter
  2. 3 tablespoons of liquorice powder
  3. 3 eggs
  4. 3 dl sugar
  5. 2 tablespoons of syrup
  6. 2 dl of flour
  7. 6 tablespoons of cacao
  • Put the oven on 175 degrees. 
  • Melt the butter, and then mix together the dry ingredients. 
  • Stir in the syrup and butter. 
  • Pour the batter into a greased tin or pie dish. 
  • Bake in the lower part of the oven, roughly 20-25 minutes. You want it really doughy and soft in the middle! 
  • Serve with raspberries and whipped cream (or vanilla ice cream.) 



2 comments: